Friday, April 13, 2012

April 12, 2012 Transplant +128 days

The Olympic Games will be in London this July and August. Athletes all over the world have been anticipating this and are getting ready.  Track and field athletes put in years of preparation for the two to three weeks of competition.  For as many that want to compete, there is a tremendous attrition rate. Injuries, over training, life’s unexpected circumstances will unfortunately sideline many very capable men and women.  As I have been a fan of running, I enjoy watching the trials for the Marathon.  The first time the Olympics had the marathon as an event for women was for the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.  The qualifying trials were held in Olympia Washington.  Only the first three runners made the team, with the forth place runner as an alternate.  That year, the Marathon was won by Joan Benoit from Maine with a very impressive time of 2:22:43.  This was the last time a US woman has won the Olympics Marathon.  That year’s race favorite, Grete Waitz from Norway came in second.  Over the next several years Grete would win nine New York City Marathons.  This past week I was reminded of another Olympic Marathon event; that in Mexico City in 1968.  Because of the high elevation of Mexico City at 7,349 feet, it was going to be a challenge to compete in the relatively thin atmosphere.  The winner was Mamo Wolde from Ethiopia with a time of 2:20:26.  The conditions were so hard that many athletes walked off the course and never finished.  The last runner to cross the finish line was John Stephen Akhwari from Tanzania with a time of 3:25:17.  This is over an hour after the first runner crossed the finish line.  Many could not understand what he was thinking.  The press that was covering the race wanted to ask him when there was no chance he could win the race why he continued.  His answer was classic. ”You don’t understand.  My Country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they send me to finish it.”  The persistence this man showed under the circumstances was amazing.  See a YouTube link (Click Here).  

Now that I am 128 Days post-transplant, one would think I was home free.  In reality, there are still days that I have no energy, I get discouraged, I have set backs, I am frustrated with what I consider the extremely slow progress of my healing.  When I was healthy I was able to complete 12 Marathons.  I know what it means to staying in the race; to finish it.  This is a different race and I don’t care for it.  Yet I find many reasons to go on and do what I need to.  If you know someone who is going through cancer treatment or some serious medical condition, send them a card or note.  Let them know you are chearing them on as they move through their race.  Oh by the way, the Boston Marathon is this Monday. (photo credit Boston Atheletic Association)

2 comments:

  1. Rick. It is always enjoyable to read your blogs. You always have something inspirational and profound to say. You've been at this recovery thing for so long and have continued the race. Good for you and good for us to see how you keep up the fight.

    Know that you are loved and admired by so many. Please let me know if there is anything you need.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,
    I remember this story from the Olympics. There is another that is making the rounds on facebook that is also inspirational. It is about a young runner named Derek Redmond. But you know Rick, no one is more inspirational than you and Rose. I think of you so often. I don't know if I could keep my spirits up as you have done. I know it is hard to let go of the person you once were. We all identify ourselves as having certain talents and a certain persona....we athletes, travelers, tough in tough circumstances. Health challenges are the biggest thief of those identities. You have been amazing....you AND Rose. Love the two of you and I want you to know that we pray for you = in French! We are so proud of you. So proud to call you friends.

    ReplyDelete