Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 13 Transplant Day +98


My oncologist is hinting he may allow me to return home this weekend to continue my recovery there. I will know for certain on Thursday at the end of my clinic visit. The two pending issues are my Potassium levels and my light headedness. I have been in Seattle now since November 20. I have spent approximately four week in the hospital with the rest of the time working on recovery at our apartment that is part of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. This stay has been good for Rose and I as our focus has been solely on getting me healthy again primarily from the impacts of the stem cell transplant. We have not been worried about plowing snow or work or my safety being at home by myself. The environment we are in is safe. Everyone here understands the health precautions needed during the months after chemo as our immune systems are all weak. This allows a unique opportunity to socialize and visit with other cancer patients instead of being locked up away from everyone or asking visitors if they are well. We have had a chance to get to know some pretty outstanding people here that are walking bravely through some pretty scary stuff. Morale is good and there is a lot of encouragement among those of us who are fighting for our lives. I also want to commend the care givers who spend their entire day working with their loved ones here. In the evening the community kitchen is alive with a variety of cooks. We have watched some fairly elaborate meals with fresh baked bread and desserts prepared. Going back home signals the next step in my recovery. I will be working with my oncologist back in Wenatchee through the next year. During that time I will be watched as my immune system strengthens. I will also hopefully become physically stronger as I have experienced a lot of muscle atrophy. The simple act of walking is still hard and I can stay on my feet now for about 30 minutes. Over the weeks my balance and endurance have improved. The disease of AL Amyloidosis was pushed back significantly through the stem cell transplant. While the disease was not eradicated, I will be able to recover in many of the areas there has been damage. At some point, I will need to be placed back on some form of chemo again.

When I am not at the doctor’s office, I have tried to keep myself busy with either reading or tracking down my ancestors via Ancestory.com. I have “picked” most of the low hanging fruit with my genealogy and now discovering new facts has become hard. This week, I came across some records from the Irish side of the family. My ancestors are from SW Ireland, in County Clare, a rural spot called Cree, not far from the Atlantic Coast. In addition to information on my great grandparents, I got some information on their three sons; one of whom is my grandfather who came to America 101 years ago. While I generally do nothing on Saint Patrick’s Day, this year I will remember my ancestors, especially my grandfather who came to this country for a better life. (Photo from Historic-Ireland.com). 

1 comment:

  1. Rick,
    Loved seeing your comment on our blog. Spent the morning reading yours and catching up with you and Rose. Words are insufficient to express my admiration for you both. You are living in such a new world. When you were diagnosed several years ago, it was hard to imagine the daily battle that would need to be waged by the two of you. Thank you for your incredible example of faith and good cheer. I doubt my own ability to exemplify the same if I was dealing with what you are dealing with. Bless you both. We miss you and are sorry we have not been better communicators. We are happy and are so glad that we made the move to serve a mission now. Heaven only knows what the future holds. I felt so strongly that we should go NOW and am so happy that we are experiencing this wonderful adventure together. It is deeply satisfying even when it is challenging. We love you, Rick and Rose. You are such delightful friends. We appreciate your support and bonheur (in French, it means cheerful happy heart!) Linda B

    ReplyDelete