Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Transplanted Heart + 1000 Days !


Birthday Party just before heart transplant
Two days after transplant

We survived!
Jude September 2009

June 7, 2012 marks one thousand days since I had my heart transplant back on Friday, September 11, 2009.  I can still remember the day as if it was yesterday.  That day culminated an awesome week of events.  Starting the Saturday before, my brother came up from Las Vegas and surprised me with a visit.  The following day was my birthday.  Rose and my sister put together a celebration that included my brother, two sons, daughter in law, two grand kids and brother-in-law.  At the time I was tethered up to several IV fluids and instruments to monitor my failing heart.  The celebration was filled with balloons, cards and some killer cup cakes.  Two days later, I was given a feeding tube (not so fun).  Three days latter I was placed in intensive care and was hooked up to a special pump to assist my failing heart (not so good). Four days later things got better as one of the cardiologists told me a heart had become available and I could be transplanted either that evening or the following morning (very good news).  This was September 10.  Earlier that day, Rose and I had a new grandson; Jude Sanders.  I called Jude’s dad, Marshall, to congratulate him on the birth of his son.  I told Marshall Jude and I may be sharing the same birthday.  Marshall knew that transplant patients claim the day they have a transplant as a second birthday.  The news moved Marshall to tears as he had been praying for me to receive a new heart.  At the same time, I had another son-in-law, Michael, who was serving in Afghanistan.  That day the base he served on sponsored a ½ Marathon to commemorate those lost on 9-11 at the World Trade Center, Pentagon and the planes that went down due to hijackers.  Michael ran the race and was dedicating his efforts to me, knowing time was running out when I could be transplanted.  He found out from his wife I was being prepped for my transplant.  He too broke down with relief.  Early Friday on September 11, 2009, I was moved from the ICU to the operating room were I would get my new heart.  The room had about twenty people made up of doctors, nurses and technicians.  Of course I do not remember the operation.  The last thing I was aware of was telling the anesthesiologist what kind of work I did.  Then it was Saturday afternoon and I was waking up in a recovery room.  My sister and brother-in-law had just watched the UW Husky football game and stopped by the hospital to see how I was.  I had a breathing tube stuck down my throat and I could not talk.  I motioned to the nurse that I wanted to write something down on a tablet.  The first communication I made after my heart transplant I wrote, “Who won the game?”  They were shocked that after coming through heart transplant, I would even be thinking of college football.  Well the Huskies did win!  So it was a very good week.  A visit from my brother, a chance to see my two sons, grandkids, family, the birth of a new grandson and knowing my son-in-law in Afghanistan was safe.  Then to get a heart I had been waiting in the hospital 10 weeks for.  Plus the Huskies won a game!  It was a good week!  

My new heart is a good match.  I have not had any rejection that is so common with transplanted organs.  While I have never met the family of the donor, I have prayed for them.  The unselfishness of their son has given me a second chance at life.  I would not be here had he not signed up as an organ donor.  As of today, I have been given another 1000 days.  I want to make the most of every day I have.

3 comments:

  1. Rick I can't begin to tell you the admiration I have for you, your story is such an inspiration.
    Thank you for sharing it Rick. I still remember all those years ago how tough you were at football. Now I realize I had no clue. your old friend Cliff. Fred is slowing down quite a bit, and his hearing is poor. He is still trucking along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One-thousand days old -- YAY!

    Yeah, we must count our blessings each and every day-- Your story helps to me keep my petty peeves in perspective.

    All the best for the next thousand!

    ~ Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Rick. Your comments about donors are priceless. They [the donor] may or may not have given the concept much thought as something that they would ever face but regardless agreed that they want to help others should they "check out". I have done the same [donor agreement] and would encourage other to do so as well. My time working in Operating Rooms in the 70's showed me the life improvement a transplant can make to someone struggling and in need. Kid's with burns, people struggling with scared Corneas, renal failure patients and [as you are] Heart Failure victims. Your Donor's family spirit's are soaring as I know they are aware of your receipt of their loved one's heart. They are happy, for sure, of your progress and success. I echo Leigh in wishing you continued success. See you soon I'm sure.
    -ted

    ReplyDelete