Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 2013



Part of the symptoms of AL Amyloidosis is light headedness and weakness of muscles.  This month I have mastered getting into my home safely.  Our home has one set of stairs that brings you to a single level with our rambler style house.  Once inside I am fine.  I move up the stairs safely by sitting down on each step and lift up backwards one step at a time.  This activity does not exhaust me and I am completely safe from a fall since I am already sitting.  It sounds strange but this is how I can enjoy going home for a few hours in the evening or on the weekends.  

I attended a fun run/walk open to employees and their families from Chelan, Douglas and Grant Public Utility Districts.  I had an opportunity to see many of my colleagues from my office as I had worked with Douglas PUD for close to 20 years.  Rose had her two daughters, seven grand kids and her mom all participate in either the mile walk or the 5k run.  We received a nice T-shirt for being a participant and several family members won trophies for their age bracket and gender for the race.  The trophies were made from a short piece of high voltage wire.  Very clever.  Another outing we made was to attend the Bach Festival at Lake Chelan.  What a treat to hear a Brandenburg Concerto (No. 3), Mendelsohn’s Violin Concerto in E Minor and Vivaldi’s Gloria.  The evening was very warm.  Many in the audience came in casual attire with shorts and sandals.  The music was not casual as the orchestra and choir made a great performance with skill and feeling. 

My health has been about the same as last month.  I have lost a few more pounds.  I am getting too skinny and weigh about what I did as a freshman in high school.  My attempt to eat more at meals and snack between meals has not been that successful to gain weight.  Another common symptom of AL Amyloidosis is the disruption of the gastro-Intestinal system.  I do fine eating sea food and poultry but I struggle with beef, most dairy products and chocolate. 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting updates on your blog- I really look forward to them and we are still praying for you. we have a kitten and forgot how much energy they could have. I have 3 weeks off at end of next week, maybe we can get together and visit.

    ReplyDelete