Friday, August 16, 2013

August 2013

 


This past month I have ventured out a bit further from home to take advantage of each day that I have been given.  I mentioned to my friend Jerry that I would like him visit a few historical places in Montana for me after I am gone.  He took that as a challenge to get me off my rear and out to see those places first hand.  I had never been to Montana and there were some points visited by the explorers Lewis and Clark that caught my attention.  Several years ago, I read Steven Ambrose’s book “Undaunted Courage” a story about the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1803 - 1806 across the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase and to find a trade route across North America.  The book remains one of my favorites.  So on August 1, after getting clearance from my Hospice Team, we left Washington for Montana for a five day road trip.  One place I wanted to see was a spot William Clark had carved his name in a sandstone formation and was still visible today.  The location was called Pompey’s Pillar by the members of the expedition.  “Pomp” was the nick name given to Sacagawea’s infant son Jean Baptiste Charbonneau.  Pompey’s Pillar is a one acre sandstone formation that stands 150 feet above the Yellowstone River.  Today it is located just outside of Billings, Montana.  As we arrived at the location, we learned from the park ranger that the entire exhibit was wheelchair accessible with the exception of sandstone carving of William Clark’s name, which required going up a 100 step stairway.  My friend Jerry, who I have climbed mountains and run marathons with wanted to carry me on his back up the stairs.  So being the good friend that I am gave him some physical cross training in preparation for his next marathon.  I have been losing some weight, but I am still 150 pounds.  He carried me to the top of the stairs so I could see this name carved in the sandstone with the date of July 25, 1806.  I was able to scratch one more thing off of my “bucket list.”  Other places we saw on this five day excursion were the Little Bighorn where General George Custer died and Yellowstone National Park.   

 
 

 
There have been no noticeable changes in my physical strength or health this month.  I will continue my classified as a Hospice Patient per the recommendation of my oncologist.   
 
 










1 comment: